Skip to main content

The Weekly Wrap-up: Road Trips, Co-op and Free Ice Cream

(delivering Girl Scout cookies)

This week flew by for us~how about you? In fact, I found myself wishing for uninterrupted days at home. That didn't happen a single day this week. Oh well, there's always next week, right?

Monday came bright and early and we were able to get some school work done before The Princess and I took off to meet up with her Girl Scout troop (all fellow homeschoolers) to deliver the cookies they were donating to our Crisis Center for Women. The girls enjoyed their excursion~especially since it included lunch at McDonald's.

(Lego Action Contraption class at co-op)

Tuesday came ridiculously early as we were off on a road trip for the day to Oklahoma and Missouri. You can read all about it here. I attempted some school work in the car, but there was only a little accomplished.

Wednesday was a much more productive day, but still full of interruptions. I find that it's so hard to gain any momentum in the afternoons and if those mornings are a loss then the whole day is nearly a loss. Please say I'm not the only one who has this problem!

(Lego Action Contraption class at co-op)

Thursday morning our area's big children's consignment sale began so my mom and I hit that~using the divide and conquer technique, because you need it at those things! We were very successful, too, and I've now got the majority of the kids' summer clothing for a fraction of the cost. Do you like to buy clothes for your children at consignment sales? We love them!

We did
have a productive time of school that afternoon~thank goodness! I should mention that this week we mostly played catch-up on our school schedule from last week. But that's okay, we're getting right back on track. I think it's better to take things a little more slowly to get back into our schedule rather than trying to cram so much into a day or two and frustrate us all.

Friday brought our second week of Spring Co-op classes with our homeschool group. It was a full morning of group pictures, Legos and puppet-making.

(Mr. B's puppets)

(The Princess' puppets)

The kids had a blast making puppets in their crafts class. They each made a sock puppet and a paper bag puppet. Then they created puppet shows for the class~very cute!

(my puppet)

I even got in on the fun and made a puppet. Crafts are so addicting, aren't they? I love to join in!

(picnicking at the park)

After co-op classes were over we headed over to a favorite area park for a picnic lunch and play time with our co-op friends. I think we're going to make this a regular after-co-op thing for at least through the Spring. It was fun hanging out and talking with the other moms!

(Mr. B's sandwich *cake with candles*)

We wrapped up things by taking the kiddos to redeem some of their free ice cream coupons at Braum's from their reading program. I love reading programs!

(reading rewards: free ice cream!)

I love participating in co-op~and the kids really love it!~but as you can see from this wrap-up, no school work gets done at home when co-op is in the morning. So starting next week I will be planning a bit better for that through the end of April.

We did have one more field trip planned for tomorrow (Sat), but we have decided that a day of rest at home is in order. No places we have to be, no commitments, just some stuff around the house and some relaxation. We all need it! It's been a bit of a rough week.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!


Comments

Kayren said…
Funny to see you on a picnic...we got four inches of snow last night. It's going to be a while before we take any picnics!
Stacy said…
Looks like a fun week! You have some great homeschooling resources in your area - I'm so jealous!
Stacy
Kathy said…
I have to comment b/c I am just like you! Most weeks we begin the week with a blank calendar and with me saying we're going to stay home every day and get ALL this school work done. Most weeks that never happens! Things always pop up and some times I get so discouraged when we don't 'stay on track'. I also feel the same about the structure of the day - and when we don't get stuff done right away it seems like the whole day slips away and the kids are too distracted in the afternoon and not wanting to sit and focus.

But then I look at your week and think that your kids are still having lots of amazing 'learning' experiences even if they aren't 'book work' and I think - you know what, it's not so bad to have flexibility in our schedules.

Think about why so many kids hate school - b/c they sit at a desk in a classroom being told to be quiet for the better part of 6-7 hours. Our kids are enjoying so much more of the world around them and loving school b/c of it!

Another blessing I'm realizing lately is that we don't have to fill in every blank, check every box and finish every worksheet - so even when we get a little behind, we can quickly catch up by simply allowing them to do only what needs to be done and not so much repetition.

Anyway, I think your week looks like a lot of fun ... we have some field trips this coming week so I'm sure my coming week will look much like yours. I'm so glad to have other Moms like yourself who are right where I'm at, right now when I need the encouragement.

Hope you have a wonderfully relaxed weekend!!! =)
Unknown said…
Wow, what a busy week! Braums..mmmm. Are you in MO? My sister lives in Ozark, MO and I love Braums. Yummy. I am a little jealous of your picnic and sunshine. I know our's will get here...eventually!
Hi Lora! After reading your previous post you had been on my mind. I wanted to let you know that I have been praying for you and your family in this transitional period!

Blessings, Lori
Unknown said…
I'm jealous of your picnic at the park! We're anxious to start exploring our parks again...but there's still SO much snow! Stopping by from Weekly Wrap-up!

Jessy
@Kathy:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't get anything done in the afternoons!:) At least not schoolwork, right?
And, yes, I've had that same realization recently and have stopped making them do every single exercise on every single page in their workbooks. Sometimes we skip them if it's something they have down well, and sometimes I have them just do the exercise verbally~they really enjoy that.
We have really been enjoying our field trips lately~I know you'll enjoy the ones you've got planned!
@cahanbury:
We live in Arkansas, so there are quite a few Braums here. It's good stuff! We love to buy their milk, too.
@Lori:
THANK YOU! That means a lot!
Annie Kate said…
We've been homeschooling for more than a dozen years, and I agree. With younger children the afternoons are often 'useless' in terms of formal homeschooling. But they are great for mud puddles, dolls, k'nex, reading, baking, and so many other important things!

You've had a wonderful week!

Annie Kate

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a