Skip to main content

This and That

I can hardly believe that March is nearly half over already! I really thought we would be settled into a new home by now. This extended-stay with my parents has lasted a little longer than I anticipated. But with the possibility of an out-of-state move we didn't think it would be wise to move into a house here and then have to move again.

However, it's nearly Spring. And I have only a fraction of our Winter clothes with us, let alone any Spring clothes! So I'm probably the only person in our area that gets excited when it stays cold because it means I have clothes to wear:) And I can't even tell you how tired I am of the ones I have with me...haha But on the other hand, I am very grateful to have clothes to wear.

School has been a little rough lately. We're all a little (ahem...a lot!) tired of having our stuff in storage and not having our usual space and some days we've just needed to get out of the house. When we're out it takes our focus off of some of our daily frustrations and we are able to get a better perspective. We've taken several field trips which you can read about here, here, here and here. We've had some wonderful family days!

At the house though we've had lots of disruptions and whatnot. Vince has tried in vain to convince me to just let it go until we get settled, but I am determined to persevere and press on!:) Visions of doing school the entire summer are not much of a thrill to me, so onward we go! Some days are very good, some not so much, but that's life and we will survive. I am learning which hills I don't want to die on and what is a mountain worth climbing.

I would like to say that I'm getting through this transition with much grace. But I don't think I've been very graceful. I've had more than my share of teary meltdowns lately. Not to mention being snappy with my family. But I feel as though I've turned a corner. I will not let this season of our lives beat me. God has amazing plans for our family, I know that in my heart of hearts. Even though some days I can't see the sun at all (figuratively speaking) I know it's there and it's going to break through soon. I refuse to become bitter and jaded by life. And while life has thrown us some very unexpected curve balls, we will make it through by the grace of God.

Believe it or not, I have actually begun to pray for patience. I know. Terrifying, right?! I've never really had the nerve to pray for that before, but it has been made painfully obvious to me lately just how much I need to have that fruit of the Spirit working fully in my life. And I desperately want His fruits working in my life.

And I'm amazed and humbled by the *little* things that God does to let me know He hasn't forgotten me. Several time lately I've received an encouraging email or a facebook message from people who had no idea just how much I needed to hear an encouraging word. Those *little* things have made my day many times over and blessed my heart deeply.

Even simple, sweet comments here on the blog have lifted my spirits many times. So, thank you! Thank you very much for reading, for commenting, for being my friend. I do love it here and I am enjoying this journey with you.

Comments

MissMOE said…
Great post! Sometimes finding a balance is hard. I've been where you are with living with family--it IS hard. Hoping things will work out for a move for you guys soon.
Sarah said…
You are a strong, inspiring woman----and don't you forget it! And about praying for patience.... Honey, I've been praying for patience for years now! :) I sometimes get so caught up in those worthless silly pursuits that I too forget about the things that are REALLY important----family & friends. You will get through it and be a stronger person on the other side. :)

Keep being you---because YOU are awesome! I can just tell!

Sarah

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of an Egyptian Death Mask

We are learning all about the ancient world this year with Story of the World I and loving it! We've been learning a lot about Egypt, of course, which is completely fascinating. Most recently we have studied the New Kingdom of Egypt, which includes the story of King Tut. So we decided making an Egyptian death mask in the style of King Tut's would be a fun project. First since it was too cold at the time to paper mache in the garage (it probably would have frozen instead of dried-ha) and it was too messy to do it in the house, we decided to pick up a couple of cheap craft masks at Hobby Lobby. Next we cut out cardboard shapes to complete the shape of the death mask, attaching them with hot glue. Vince even put a little detail on the *beard* with the hot glue per The Princess' request. Then the kiddos started to paint them with this metallic gold tempera paint. It worked okay for the cardboard, but would not coat the plastic of the mask. We thought maybe a second coat

1st Day Back to {home}School, Among Other Things

We did it! We finally got unpacked enough and got our new learning room organized enough to start back to school! Frankly, I was starting to get worried...ha Today went very well though. So far I am extremely pleased with our new curriculum choices for math and language arts. Now, if I could just actually get some lesson planning done... And get the finishing touches done in the learning room, so I can blog it! In other news, it has been a bit of a traumatic week...pet-wise. Last weekend a sweet friend (who had asked my permission beforehand) brought the kiddos their very own little fish tank with two goldfish. Well, on Sunday we noticed that The Princess' fish was pretty lethargic...dead, actually. She was sad, but she handled it fairly well. And we went to the store that evening and let her pick out a new goldfish. Well, today during our school time~the fish tank is in our learning room~we noticed Mr. B's fish was acting funny. And then he was dead. It was a

Door Hanger Chore Charts

My kids have had a chore chart for a while.  It's one of those magnetic boards and they share it.  However, it's not by their rooms and often they (and I) forget to update it.  Plus it's a little bulky.   When I saw the concept of a door hanger chore chart on Pinterest, I loved it!  It was compact, right there were the kiddos could see it coming out and going into their rooms, and it costs almost nothing to make.   I headed over to one of my favorite stores: Hobby Lobby, of course.  They  have these little wooden door hangers for .79.  I also grabbed a couple of packets of decorative buttons for $1.99 each.  I already had the clothes pins and the paint so those cost me nothing.   I began by painting the door hangers (I used tempera paints because that's what I had).  Then I grabbed a fine point Sharpie and the clothes pins and started writing chores on them, making sure to write them correctly so they will clip on the right direction.   The left