30 June 2010

Fun With 4th of July Crafts: Part 1


Yesterday I tea-dyed some flags. They were just cheap little flags that I've had for over 10 years. I've used them in a million different ways over the years and when I saw this tutorial I thought making them look vintage would be fun.

Here they are looking all *new* and *modern*:)

So I took a large bowl and filled it with hot tap water and tossed in about six tea bags (Earl Grey, in case you're wondering).

I let the water get all nice and brown, even squeezing the tea bags gently to get a good color.

Then I put all the flags in to soak. I probably let them soak a good four hours or so.

Then I laid them out on a towel to dry over night. They had definitely gotten tea-stained and were looking much more vintage than before.

I know it may be hard to tell in a photo because the change is slight, but they really do look more vintage!
I tucked them into a little patriotic bucket filled with shredded shiny *paper*. They are standing up so nice and flying so straight! I love that, because they had lost some of that crispness packed away in their box. The tea bath sure did revive them:)

Don't they look pretty beside some of my patriotic vintage postcards?!

Watch for more 4th of July crafts to come...

3 comments:

steviewren said...

Love your 4th crafts and your list of likes. I like these tea dyed flags.

Lora said...

Thank you, Steviewren!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Lora! Wasn't this the easiest thing ever? So glad you had fun with it. Love your wreath! Uh oh - the craft room is calling me.........